Located adjacent to the Albuquerque shops, signal 9028 is the forth eastward signal within mile 902. Four signals within a mile on a double track stretch indicates a high number of movements. With the yard to the west and the depot to the east, and a number of industries along the mainline, switch movements on the passenger drill and along the yard leads must have required close spacing, but at slow speeds.
Signal 9028 was originally installed in 1917 during the double tracking project and, though no conclusive proof, was in all likelihood a 3-postion upper-quadrant style-S. The signal was probably converted to a top-of-mast T-2 at some point (the pinnacle is the clue) and finally to searchlight -- three versions of one signal. Photo 28 December 2001.